Prepare Yourself for a Career in Health Data Analytics and Health Informatics with a HIMSS-Approved Master’s Degree
Now more than ever, professionals who know how to securely capture, analyze and use health information are in demand. Whether you currently work in the healthcare field or are new to the industry, the University of San Diego’s M.S. in Health Care Informatics can help you achieve your goals. As a HIMSS-Approved Education Partner, the University of San Diego provides all the technical and programmatic skills you need to succeed, plus business management skills that will cement your role as a trailblazer in the Health Care Informatics field.
Designed for working professionals, our practical, flexible program allows you to take classes on campus in the evenings, or 100% online. Both formats provide an experienced cross-disciplinary faculty, exceptional student support, and the ability to customize your experience by choosing one of three learning tracks:
Health Care Informatics (HCI) Track
The HCI track focuses on applying data to solve questions that impact individual patients, populations of patients, and health care delivery systems. HCI professionals work in an interdisciplinary environment that integrates computer science, knowledge management, and health care.
- Advanced Health Care Information Management
- Clinical Documentation: Electronic Medical Record Systems
- Systems Analysis and Design for Health Care Systems
Health Care Analytics (Data Science Track) Track
Health Care Analytics (HCA) professionals understand health care delivery from the bedside to the board room, and utilize advanced analytics tools combined with programming skills to design unique solutions to solving health care problems. The HCA track teaches students to employ the skills of a data scientist, within the context of the health care discipline.
- Machine Learning Applications for Health Care
- Advanced Health Care Analytics
- Population Health Analytics
Health Care Leadership Track
The Health Care Leadership Track prepares individuals with the skills needed in technology, systems management, communication and critical thinking to take on leadership roles in health care organizations. Graduates will be prepared for roles such as managers, directors, or executives in health care delivery, technology, informatics, and health care companies.
- Healthcare Leadership, Values and Social Justice
- Health Care Law
- Strategic Planning and Management of Health Systems
Regardless of which track you choose, you’ll start your degree with a practical foundation in healthcare information management, and enjoy focused and relevant coursework in health care delivery systems, systems analysis and design, statistics, and database design. Contact us today to take the next step toward becoming a health care informatics leader.
Who’s This Degree For?
Demand is high for health informatics professionals, especially those who can bridge relevant work experience with focused health informatics education. Our program typically attracts students from the following backgrounds:
- Physicians looking to advance into a CMIO role
- Foreign medical graduates (FMGs) who are not credentialed in the U.S.
- Nurses and nursing informaticists
- Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians
- Other healthcare professionals
- Health insurance professionals
- IT/computer science professionals
- Medical office managers
- Health information management professionals (including those working in medical billing/revenue cycle, coding, information governance, data integrity, quality improvement, compliance, privacy and security, etc.).
- Public health or non-profit roles
But you don’t need to have health care experience to enroll in the M.S. in Health Care Informatics program, and almost half of our students start the program with no experience in the field at all. Our program is designed to help you build a foundation that will prepare you for future success.