This MS in Health Care Informatics class introduces theory and applied practice of clinical documentation systems. Includes hands on experience with the use of Practice Fusion (an office-based EMR) and Cerner electronic medical record systems (EMR).
– Chronicles historical trends in the development and evolution of clinical documentation systems.
– Explores hardware/software development requirements for EMRs and application of EMR data for: quality, risk assessment, billing, and research applications.
– Includes overview of clinical devices that assist in medication administration such as BCMA (Bar Code Medication Administration).
– Applies problem-based learning to the development of clinical rules and alert systems for both Clinical Decision Support (CDS) and CPOE (Computerized Physician Order Entry) systems.
– Emphasizes regulatory requirements for electronic medical records to include: HIPPA, Meaningful Use Requirements, security applications, and federal breach reporting.