Who is this program for?
The Master of Science in Applied Data Science degree program is ideally suited to those with a background in science, mathematics, engineering or technology, but it is also structured to train those from other backgrounds who are motivated to transition into data science.
Potential candidates for the University of San Diego’s online master’s degree in applied data science include:
- Bachelor-prepared science, mathematics, engineering, information technology or computer science graduates
- Graduates from other fields who possess technical aptitude in the above fields or others, including STEM, business, and more
- Mid-career data analytics, data engineering, and computer science professionals looking to advance their knowledge and skills
- Professionals looking to transition into data science from other fields (comprehensive introductory courses build a strong foundation for those who are less familiar with data science)
Additionally, employers who have an ongoing need for skilled data scientists should be aware that this program is designed to:
- Serve the professional development needs of employers across a multitude of industries, specifically with regard to sharpening the knowledge and skillsets of current team members
- Groom graduates to provide immediate impact in the workforce by applying their technical knowledge and skills to business and commercial applications
A Word From the Academic Director
The goal of the USD MS-ADS online program is to prepare prospective data scientists with in-depth analytical knowledge tied to real-world applications, relevant programming ability, and critical professional skills to both succeed in their career and to create meaningful social impact.
Data Science Careers
The need for skilled data scientists cuts across nearly all industries, public agencies, and nonprofits, with particularly strong demand and opportunity in such fields as financial services, health care, cybersecurity, manufacturing, marketing, retail, media, government and military, aerospace, food, and hospitality.
Salary data from employment websites including Indeed, LinkedIn, ZipRecruiter, PayScale, Salary and U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Degree candidates are admitted throughout the year to begin their degree during one of three semesters (spring, summer and fall). Students take two courses during each 14-week semester, focusing on one 7-week course at a time. This degree program can be completed in 5 semesters (20 months).
Top Companies Hiring Data Scientists
The University of San Diego’s program differentiates itself from the best online data science master’s programs in several unique and important ways. For example, the program:
- Employs highly skilled faculty practitioner-instructors, many of whom currently work in applied data science leadership roles at a wide range of commercial, academic, and government organizations.
- Leverages the best of both worlds by combining comprehensive technical knowledge and skills with a deep understanding of how to apply advanced capabilities (including hard and soft skills) in real-world applications.
- Focuses on continuous improvement, using insight gained through ongoing consultations with its advisory board and with a broad range of data science experts and managers to enhance curriculum relevance and immediacy.
The University of San Diego’s high-quality academic programs are regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission. Accreditation is an important quality indicator for college and university degree programs, and regional accreditation is generally regarded as the gold standard that assures you will receive a rigorous education and be able to apply for federal financial aid.
The faculty members selected for the M.S. in Applied Data Science program possess a unique combination of government, academic, and industry experience spanning enterprises focused on technology, engineering, business, marketing, education, and more. All courses in the M.S. in Applied Data Science degree program are taught by these real-world experts in the applied data science field.
Tuition and Financial Aid
Program tuition is competitive with other top institutions. Federal financial aid can help you fund your degree. Scholarships and grants may also be available.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need an undergraduate degree in science or engineering?
It is expected that most applicants will have an undergraduate degree in science, mathematics, engineering, information technology, computer science or a STEM field. However, the program is also open to those with a bachelor’s degree from other fields (such as business, for example); such applicants are asked to provide a written statement on how their skills and experience are suited to the program.
I’m a skilled data analyst who would like to advance, will this degree help?
This program is uniquely tailored to meet the needs of data analysts who are looking to advance to a data science role at their current organization or elsewhere.
I’m new to data science, looking to change careers — will this degree help?
The USD MS-ADS program is extremely well-suited to professionals who hold advanced degrees in other disciplines and are looking to develop helpful expertise in data science.
Is a GRE or GMAT required for admission?
Candidates who have a GPA above 2.5 are not required to take a GRE or GMAT; however, a standardized test such as GRE or GMAT will be required for applicants with a GPA between 2.0 and 2.5.
What is data science?
Now driving innovation and change across nearly all industries, data science is focused on uncovering valuable insights hidden in the vast amounts of data that humans and their machines now produce every single day
How much does the online data science master’s degree cost in tuition?
The Master of Science in Applied Data Science online program is 36 total credits at $925 per credit, for a total tuition of $33,300. However, this includes two prerequisite classes that may be waived for some students based on past experience. (those who qualify will complete 30 credits; total tuition: $27,750). Thanks to available federal financial aid, most students find the program to be a valuable, affordable investment that quickly pays for itself.
Does USD offer career development/advising support?
The University of San Diego is committed to steering you on a path toward educational and professional success. Right from the start, you’ll receive support from experienced University of San Diego advisors, and then further guidance from USD’s Career Development Center.