Is online study right for me?
What’s it Like to Earn Your Graduate Degree Online?
Online courses offer a convenient, yet rigorous style of learning that allows you to structure your education to suit your schedule while keeping you on pace toward achieving your educational goals. As an online graduate student, you will have access to your classroom at any time and can view your assignments, syllabus and course resources from any computer with internet capability.
Our online, asynchronous courses offer the same rigorous, high-quality content and expert instruction as the courses held on-campus at the University of San Diego. Instructors facilitate courses through engaging multimedia presentations and provide prompt feedback to questions within a 24 to 48-hour timeframe. When you learn online, you gain the flexibility to structure your education around your schedule. As an online student, you’ll interact with instructors and classmates from around the world through weekly discussion forums, chats and email correspondence.
What Does “Asynchronous” Mean?
The program is designed with a “working adult” schedule in mind. Students are set up to be able to balance their academic coursework while being able to work full-time, take care of family, etc.
Course content may involve:
- No live course sessions
- Optional office hour zoom meetings
- Discussion board threads led by your instructor
- Pre-recorded lectures you can review at your leisure
- Practical assignments and projects
Technical Requirements for Online Courses in Blackboard
High-speed internet connection strongly encouraged (DSL or better)
- Browser: Firefox is the recommended browser for use with Blackboard on both the Mac and PC. The Final Release Channel version of Firefox (Currently version 11.0) is listed as certified or compatible with Blackboard.
- Safari (Mac), Internet Explorer (Windows), and Chrome (Mac/Windows) are also supported browsers. Blackboard lists the most current browser compatibility information on its site, here.
- Microsoft Office
- See system requirements for Cyber Security programs here.
Still Not Sure?
Check out our comprehensive blog post to help you determine if getting an online master’s degree is the right choice for you
Here at USD, you’re never treated like a number. From undivided attention with faculty to one-on-one admission and program counseling, our goal is to personalize your entire experience, surround you with support, and ensure your success.
Once you enroll, you will be assigned a personal Program Coordinator who will serve as your concierge, counselor and go-to person for all questions and concerns related to your program. You will also be provided access to our online Student Support Center, a helpful website of information specific to your degree program, and Degree Works, a portal that will help you track your progress toward graduation.