The Cyber 100: Cybersecurity Companies You Should Know
Meet Some of the Most Influential Players in This Essential Industry
For a relatively young industry, the cybersecurity business is booming. By one account, the global cybersecurity market grew from $3.5 billion in 2004 to about $138 billion in 2017, and is forecast to hit $232 billion by 2022.
Such projections are obviously an inexact science. Cybersecurity, by its very nature, is a volatile and unpredictable field that experiences its share of market fluctuations and turnover as new players come and go.
However, the idea that there is a cybersecurity industry “bubble” that will one day burst seems almost ludicrous against the backdrop of nonstop cyberattacks impacting governments, nonprofits and companies great and small across all industries.
As one of the nation’s leading cybersecurity educational partners, the University of San Diego is deeply invested in contributing to the thought leadership is this essential and fast-growing field, providing ongoing coverage on our USD Cybersecurity Blog and publishing periodic special reports.
Meet 100 of the most influential players in cybersecurity — an industry that is essential to the global economy and continues to experience lightning-fast growth.
Our Top 10
Information Security Services
Herjavec Group has gained industry notoriety both for its work providing cybersecurity products and services to enterprise organizations and for its high-profile founder and CEO — Robert Herjavec is not only a leading voice within the cybersecurity industry, he is also on the cast of ABC’s “Shark Tank.”
Established in 2003 in Toronto, the company describes itself as “one of the world’s most innovative cybersecurity operations leaders,” specializing in “complex, multi-technology environments.” Herjavec is also passionate about developing the cybersecurity workforce (see video interview with Cybercrime Magazine).
Security Awareness Training
KnowBe4’s business model is built on a pretty scary statistic (“Did you know that 91% of successful data breaches started with a spear phishing attack?”), and its mission involves dealing with the cybersecurity elephant in the room: “your weakest link — employees.”
In 2011, founding CEO Stu Sjouwerman hired Kevin Mitnick, a man once known as “The World’s Most Wanted Hacker,” as his Chief Hacking Officer. Together they built industry-leading employee cybersecurity training programs on what the company now calls “the world’s most popular integrated Security Awareness Training and Simulated Phishing platform.”
Enterprise Immune System
In the world of cybersecurity, harnessing the power of artificial intelligence to identify and counteract sophisticated cyberattacks with minimal human intervention is a highly complex “no-brainer.” Cambridge, England-based Darktrace is leading the way in this arena, leveraging the extraordinary capabilities of AI and machine learning to develop its so-called Enterprise Immune System. With its ability to detect and pre-empt threats by understanding an organization’s “digital DNA,” Darktrace likens its technology to the human immune system.
According to the company, its self-learning Cyber AI Platform is able to “uncover rare and previously unseen patterns in information, amid the noise of everyday activity across an organization’s digital systems. By detecting subtle deviations from the organization’s ‘pattern of life’, it can distinguish friend from foe – and highlight true cyber-threats or attacks that would otherwise go unnoticed.”
Advanced Threat Protection
This company touts its frontline human expertise — “industry-recognized threat researchers, malware analysts, intelligence analysts, and investigators [who] live on the front lines of cyber conflict every day” — in making the bold claim that “FireEye knows more about cybersecurity than anyone.”
FireEye has leveraged this expertise to build an award-winning ecosystem of innovative cybersecurity solutions. The company takes a holistic approach to security, combining hardware, software and human consulting services / to provide clients with “a single platform that blends innovative security technologies, nation-state grade threat intelligence, and world-renowned Mandiant consulting.”
Security Data & Analytics Solution
Rapid7 specializes in cybersecurity and data analytics, offering vulnerability management, application security, IT operations, penetration testing, (security information and event management) SIEM, managed services and security advisory services.
The company offers a range of technology and consulting services, including a Rapid7 Insight Cloud model that “collects data from across your environment, making it easy for teams to manage vulnerabilities, monitor for malicious behavior, investigate and shut down attacks, and automate your operations.” Established in 2000, the company now serves some 9,000 customers in 140+ countries.
Unified Threat Management
San Carlos, Calif.
Established in 1993 in Israel and now employing an estimated 5,000 people worldwide, Check Point is a multinational provider of software and combined hardware and software products for IT security, including network security, endpoint security, cloud security, mobile security, data security and security management.
Boasting “an industry leading catch rate of malware, ransomware and other targeted attacks,” Check Point describes itself as “the worldwide leader in securing the internet,” with a customer-centric mission focused on “developing new and innovative security solutions that redefine the security landscape.”
Enterprise Security Solutions
Ken Xie, Fortinet’s Co-founder, chairman and CEO, has a long, successful track record of entrepreneurship in cyberspace dating back to 1993 when he started a network security company called SIS, designing software firewalls while studying at Stanford. In 1996 he started NetScreen after he realized the performance limitations of software firewalls running on PCs/servers, and ended up selling the firm to Juniper for $4 billion.
Fast-forward to 2000, he and his brother (president and CTO) co-founded Fortinet, now one of the fastest growing network security companies. The two lead a team of respected tech innovators in serving approximately 70 per cent of the Fortune 100 and numerous governments around the world with a broad portfolio of spanning network, infrastructure, edge, cloud and IoT solutions. Fortinet employs more than 6,000 people in 79 countries.
Endpoint & Server Security Platform
VMware Carbon Black’s specialty is endpoint security. After all, “in today’s mobile world, endpoints are the new perimeter — and every endpoint is a possible entry point.” Its VMware Carbon Black Cloud analyzes attackers’ behavior patterns to detect and stop never-seen-before attacks, analyzing more than 500 billion events per day across millions of global endpoints to help clients stay of emerging attacks.
As a leader in endpoint security, it created the application control and endpoint detection and response (EDR) categories, and pioneered next-generation antivirus.
According to the company, its VMware Carbon Black Cloud returns the fewest false positives among next-generation antivirus vendors.
Privileged Access Security
CyberArk claims to be the only security software company focused on eliminating cyber threats that use insider privileges to attack the enterprise. It aims to prevent hackers from exploiting the expansive “privileged access” credentials of system admins or super-users; because such users’ access gives them the “keys to the kingdom,” using privileged credentials to breach a system can cause catastrophic damage to a business.
These types of attacks can be committed by internal privileged users abusing their level of access or external attackers targeting and stealing privileges from users to operate stealthily as “privileged insiders.” Offering Privileged Access Management (PAM) solutions that it uses to secure, manage and monitor privileged access, CyberArk is among the security companies committed to strengthening “the weakest link” when it comes to cybercrime — humans.
CrowdStrike bills its Falcon Platform as a single, cloud-delivered, artificial intelligence-powered solution that unifies next generation antivirus (NGAV), endpoint detection and response (EDR), device control, managed threat hunting, vulnerability assessment and IT hygiene.
Now one of the industry’s fastest growing companies, CrowdStrike was founded in 2011 by George Kurtz and Dmitri Alperovitch in response to massive cyberattacks affecting nearly all industries caused by malware that went undetected by antivirus software. They built CrowdStrike to offer a new approach that combined the most advanced endpoint protection with expert intelligence to pinpoint the adversaries perpetrating the attacks, not just the malware. CrowdStrike was named Best Security Company for 2020 by SC Magazine.
(No. 11–100 — A to Z)
- A10 Networks | DDoS Cyber Attack Protection | San Jose, CA
- Accenture | Enterprise Security Strategy | New York, NY
- Akamai Technologies | Secure Cloud & Mobile Computing | Cambridge MA
- AlienVault | Threat Detection & Response | San Mateo, CA
- Arctic Wolf | SOC-as-a-Service | Waterloo, Canada
- AT&T Network Security | Managed Security & Consulting | Bedminster, NJ
- Avast | Cyber Attack Protection | Prague, Czech Republic
- BAE Systems | Cybersecurity Risk Management | Surrey, UK
- Booz Allen | Cybersecurity Solutions & Services | New York, NY
- Bugcrowd | Bug Bounty Platform | San Francisco, CA
- Callsign | Data Breach Detection & Prevention | London, UK
- Centrify | Unified Identity Management | Santa Clara, CA
- Checkmarx | Software Development Security | Tel-Aviv, Israel
- Cisco | Threat Protection & Network Security | San Jose, CA
- Coalfire | Cyber Risk Management | Louisville, CO
- Code Dx | Application Vulnerability Management | Northport, NY
- Cofense | Phishing Attack Defense | Leesburg, VA
- Cybereason | Endpoint Protection & Hunting Engine | Boston, MA
- Deep Instinct | Deep Learning Security | New York, NY
- Deloitte | Global Risk Management | New York, NY
- DFLabs | Automated Incident & Breach Response | Lombardy, Italy
- Digital Defense | Vulnerability Management and Threat Assessment | San Antonio, TX
- Duo Security | Cloud Based Two-Factor Authentication | Ann Arbor, MI
- eSentire | Threat Detection & Prevention | Cambridge, Canada
- F5 | Cloud & Data Center Security | Seattle, WA
- Fidelis Cybersecurity | Threat Detection & Response | Bethesda, MD
- Forcepoint | Insider, Cloud & Network Security | Austin, TX
- Gigamon | Data Center & Cloud Security | Milpitas, CA
- Guidance Software | Endpoint Security, Incident Response | Pasadena, CA
- HackerOne | Bug Bounty Platform | San Francisco, CA
- i-Sprint | Identity & Access Management | Singapore
- IBM Security | Enterprise IT Security Solutions | Waltham, MA
- Imperva | Data & Applications Security | Redwood Shores, CA
- Infoblox | Automated Network Control & Security | Santa Clara, CA
- Infosec News | Cybersecurity News | Golf, IL
- Intel Security Group | Hardware Enabled Security | Santa Clara, CA
- Intruder | Vulnerability Management Scanner | London, UK
- Kaspersky Lab | Malware & Anti-Virus Solutions | Moscow, Russia
- Kenna Security | Vulnerability Threat Management | Chicago, IL
- Kount | Fraud Prevention | Boise, ID
- KPMG | Cyber Risk Management | London, UK
- Leidos | Cyber Defense Solutions | Reston, VA
- Lockheed Martin | Cybersecurity Solutions & Services | Bethesda, MD
- LogRhythm | Log Management & Security Analytics | Boulder, CO
- Lookout | Mobile Security for Android & iOS Apps | San Francisco, CA
- McAfee | Consumer & Enterprise Security | Santa Clara, CA
- Microsoft | Home/Business Security Solutions, Redmond WA
- Mimecast | Email Security | Lexington, MA
- Mitre | Government Security Solutions | McLean, VA
- MobileIron | Enterprise Mobility Management | Mountain View, CA
- Netscout | Situational Awareness & Incident Response | Westford, MA
- Nexusguard | Cloud Enabled DDoS Mitigation | Hong Kong
- Northrop Grumman | Cyber & Homeland Security Services | McLean, VA
- Palo Alto Networks | Threat Detection & Prevention | Santa Clara, CA
- Ping Identity | Identity & Access Management Platform | Denver, CO
- Proofpoint | Security-as-a-Service | Sunnyvale, CA
- PulseSecure | Enterprise Mobile Security | San Jose, CA
- PwC | Cybersecurity Consulting & Advisory | London, UK
- One Identity | Identity & Access Management | Aliso Viejo, CA
- OneLogin | Enterprise Identity Management | San Francisco, CA
- OneSpan | Authentication & Fraud Prevention | Chicago, IL
- Optiv | Information Security Services | Denver, CO
- Radware | Application Security & Delivery | Tel Aviv, Israel
- Raytheon | Cybersecurity Services | Waltham, MA
- Resecurity | Endpoint Protection & Risk Management | Los Angeles, CA
- RiskIQ | Digital Threat Management | San Francisco, CA
- RSA | Intelligence Driven Security | Bedford, MA
- Sailpoint | Identity & Access Management | Austin, TX
- ScienceSoft | Cybersecurity Software & Services | McKinney, TX
- Secude | Global Security Solutions | New York, NY
- SecureWorks | Managed Security Services | Atlanta, GA
- Sera-Brynn | Cyber Risk Management | Suffolk, VA
- Siemplify | Security Orchestration & Incident Response | New York, NY
- Sophos | Anti-Virus & Malware Protection | Abingdon, UK
- Splunk | Big Data Security | San Francisco, CA
- Symantec | Endpoint, Cloud & Mobile Security | Mountain View, CA
- Telesign | Mobile Identity Verification | Marina Del Rey, CA
- Telos | Risk Management & Compliance | Ashburn VA
- Tenable | Vulnerability Scanning | Columbia, MD
- ThreatQuotient | Threat Intelligence Platform | Reston, VA
- Threat Stack | Cloud Infrastructure Security | Boston, MA
- Thycotic | Privileged Account Management | Washington, DC
- Transmit Security | Identity & Access Management | Boston, MA
- Trend Micro | Server, Cloud & Content Security | Tokyo, Japan
- Tripwire | Advanced Cyberthreat Detection | Portland, OR
- Trustwave | Managed Security Services | Chicago, IL
- Varonis Systems | Data Security & Analytics | New York, NY
- Valimail | Automated Email Authentication | San Francisco, CA
- Verimatrix | Content Protection & Mobile Application Security | San Diego, CA
- Webroot | Security Analysis & Threat Detection | Broomfield, CO
- White Ops | Bot Fraud Detection & Prevention | Brooklyn, NY
- ZeroFOX | Public Attack Surface Protection | Baltimore, MD
- Zimperium | Mobile Threat Defense | San Francisco, CA