Master of Science in Applied Artificial Intelligence
The online Master of Science in Applied Artificial Intelligence program is designed to attract candidates who have some real-world or research experience in their profession and some background in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, information technology, statistics, or a related STEM field.
In addition, it is also structured to train individuals from other backgrounds and is well suited for full-time professionals and students who are interested in transitioning into or advancing their careers in applied artificial intelligence.
Potential candidates for the University of San Diego’s online master’s degree in applied artificial intelligence include:
- Those who possess a bachelor’s degree with strong academic credentials in such majors as Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Biological and Chemical Sciences, Health Care, etc.
- Those who possess a bachelor’s degree with strong academic credentials in non-STEM fields and are interested in advancing their technical knowledge into the realm of applied artificial intelligence.
- Professionals starting their careers in AI who realize they are more interested in practical applications rather than theoretical research.
- Professionals in other disciplines who are motivated to learn artificial intelligence and AI applications to advance their careers.
Candidates who possess real-world experience or research experience will be best positioned for acceptance into the program. Please review the admission requirements below as you prepare your application:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, IT, Statistics, or a related STEM field from an accredited institution.
- Bachelor’s GPA of 2.75 or higher (official transcripts required).
- Candidates with GPA under 2.75 or with degrees from other fields can apply, but will be asked to provide relevant and convincing explanations of their experience, skills, and motivation in an essay (guidelines provided on Applications page).
- Candidates with GPA under 2.75 are also recommended to complete a standardized test such as GRE or GMAT.
- International students will require TOEFL scores of 83 or higher.
- A personal statement outlining their overall qualifications for the program- candidates should consider responses to the following questions:
- What are your biggest strengths as a professional (or future professional) in the field of artificial intelligence?
- What excites you about A.I.?
- What motivates you to learn A.I.?
- What are your future career goals and how will USD’s MS-AAI program help you achieve them?
- Elaborate on your prior industry or research experiences that would strengthen your candidacy for the program.
- What aspects of the USD MS-AAI curriculum are attractive to you?
- Elaborate on your academic preparedness for the program by describing your skills and experience in college level Calculus, linear algebra and or statistics, and programming in Python. If you do not possess these skills, you will be asked to please submit an additional one page summary explaining your strategy to get prepared in these areas. For resources to help acquire these skills, see the learning resources at the bottom of this page.
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- Video (optional) to allow faculty to get to know you as a candidate. Please limit video to 2 minutes long.
- Recommendation letter from candidate’s current supervisor/manager
- Or two letters of recommendation from external references for candidates who are unable to obtain a letter of recommendation from a current supervisor.
The process starts with submitting your online application. You can find additional information and guidance on preparing your application by visiting our Starting Your Application page.
If you have questions regarding the above requirements or any aspect of the application process, please contact an Enrollment Advisor for assistance.
Please contact an enrollment advisor at (888) 832-0239 or use the chat feature on this page if you are interested but do not happen to meet all published admissions requirements. Our application review process always includes a holistic look at your experience and background, and we understand that a low undergraduate GPA or lack of professional experience is not necessarily indicative of your potential success in our program.
For further reading and preparation for the MS-AAI program, some suggested resources are listed at the bottom of this page.
Applications for admission are accepted on a rolling basis. A decision will be recommended by the Review Committee within one week of your application being submitted.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to regulations from the Department of Education, the University of San Diego is unable to enroll students in its online degree programs who reside in Alabama, Arkansas, District of Columbia, Georgia, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin. This restriction does not apply to applicants interested in a campus-based program.