A Leadership Degree Focused on Contemporary Criminal Justice Issues
Learn organizational leadership, analytical skills, legal issues and more
As a student in the online M.S. in Law Enforcement & Public Safety Leadership program, you will delve into some of America’s most challenging crime problems while learning practical management and leadership skills, including:
- Organizational leadership frameworks, and how to influence others for the common good
- Constitutional law and how it shapes law enforcement policy
- Budget, finance and resource allocation
- Collective bargaining and contract negotiation
- Communication techniques, including interpersonal dialogue, written/electronic communications, report and grant writing, media relations and communicating to large audiences
- Techniques for successful community engagement
- Dispute and conflict resolution skills that emphasize ethics, personal and professional integrity
- Research methods for conducting community and organizational assessments
- Analytical procedures for evaluating crime trends
Throughout the program, you’ll create and maintain a portfolio that reflects the knowledge you’ve developed and skills you’ve mastered – serving as an asset for career advancement as well as a tangible demonstration of the program and work you’ve completed.
USD’s online M.S. in Law Enforcement & Public Safety Leadership is a 31-unit program designed to be completed in 5 semesters (20 months). Coursework is taken year-round, with three 14-week semesters each year. Each 14-week semester consists of two courses running for seven weeks each back to back, allowing you to focus on one course at a time.