A Practical Master’s Degree Focused on Current Criminal Justice Issues
Learn organizational leadership, analytical skills, legal issues and more
As a student in the online M.S. in Law Enforcement & Public Safety Leadership program, you will delve into some of America’s most challenging crime problems while learning practical management and leadership skills, including:
- Organizational leadership frameworks, and how to influence others for the common good
- Constitutional law and how it shapes law enforcement policy
- Budget, finance and resource allocation
- Collective bargaining and contract negotiation
- Communication techniques, including interpersonal dialogue, written/electronic communications, report and grant writing, media relations and communicating to large audiences
- Techniques for successful community engagement
- Dispute and conflict resolution skills that emphasize ethics, personal and professional integrity
- Research methods for conducting community and organizational assessments
- Analytical procedures for evaluating crime trends
Throughout the program, you’ll create and maintain a portfolio that reflects the knowledge you’ve developed and skills you’ve mastered – serving as an asset for career advancement as well as a tangible demonstration of the program and work you’ve completed. Review the full program curriculum.
USD’s online M.S. in Law Enforcement & Public Safety Leadership is a 31-unit program designed to be completed in 5 semesters (20 months). Coursework is taken year-round, with three 14-week semesters each year. Each 14-week semester consists of two courses running for seven weeks each back to back, allowing you to focus on one course at a time.
All courses are presented in a flexible online format that allow you to schedule classes around your schedule. As an online graduate student, you will have access to your classroom at any time and can view your assignments, syllabus and course resources from any computer with internet capability.
Our online courses offer the same high-quality content, expert instruction and rigor as the courses held on-campus at University of San Diego. Instructors facilitate courses through engaging multimedia presentations and provide prompt feedback to questions within a 24-48 hour timeframe. As an online student, you’ll interact with instructors and classmates from around the world through weekly discussion forums, chats and email correspondence.
Learn more about what makes this law enforcement degree different
- View the complete list of courses included in the Master of Science in Law Enforcement & Public Safety Leadership program.
- Compare this Master’s degree program to traditional criminal justice degree curriculum.
- Meet our students and view the list of agencies they represent.
- See how to get transfer credit for your FBI National Academy training
- Learn about the unique transfer credit option for California Command College graduates
- See what resources are available to students