Master of Science in Applied Data Science
The online Master of Science in Applied Data Science program is ideally suited to those with a background in science, mathematics, engineering or technology, but is also structured to train those from other backgrounds who are motivated to transition into data science.
Potential candidates for the University of San Diego’s online master’s degree in applied data science include:
- Graduates with a bachelor’s degree in science, mathematics, engineering, information technology or computer science
- Graduates from other fields who possess technical aptitude in the above fields or others, including STEM, business and more
- Mid-career data analytics, data science and computer science professionals looking to advance their knowledge and skills
Candidates who possess real-world experience will be best positioned for acceptance into the program. Please review the admission requirements below as you prepare your application:
- Bachelor’s degree in a professional field (STEM) from a regionally accredited institution (official transcripts required*-see note below)
- Bachelor’s GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Candidates with a GPA between 2.5 and 3.0 can apply, but will be asked to provide a Statement of Purpose.
- Candidates with a GPA between 2.0 and 2.5 will be required to complete a standardized test such as the GRE or GMAT.
- International students will require TOEFL iBT 83 (or higher) or 7 on the IELTS.
- A Statement of Purpose outlining their overall qualifications for the program
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation
- 1 letter from their supervisor/manager and 1 external reference for candidates with more than 2 years industry experience, or
- 2 letters from external references for candidates with industry experience of 5 years or less.
Please contact an enrollment advisor at (888) 832-0239 or use the chat feature on this page if you are interested but do not happen to meet all published admissions requirements. Our application review process always includes a holistic look at your experience and background, and we understand that a low undergraduate GPA or lack of professional experience is not necessarily indicative of your potential success in our program.
*IMPORTANT COVID-19 NOTICE:
We understand that many universities are unable to fulfill requests for official transcripts at this time. If this is the case for you, please send your enrollment advisor a copy of your unofficial transcripts. We have temporarily suspended the requirement for official transcripts to be submitted prior to an admission decision. Please note that if you are admitted, you will still need to supply official transcripts when business operations resume at your undergraduate university.
You can find additional information and guidance on preparing your application by visiting our Starting Your Application page.
If you have questions regarding the above requirements or any aspect of the application process, please contact an Enrollment Advisor for assistance.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to regulations from the Department of Education, as of February 23, 2013, the University of San Diego is unable to enroll students in its online degree programs who reside in Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin.