Command College Graduates:
Take The Next Step in Your Leadership Development by Earning Your Master’s Degree in Law Enforcement Leadership – 100% Online
Designed for current law enforcement professionals who want to grow and lead, this 100% online, leadership-focused master’s degree program builds upon the excellent training you received at Command College, with a practical curriculum designed specifically for law enforcement professionals who want to be more effective leaders and enhance their promotional opportunities.
If you graduated from California’s Command College with Class 45 or later, you can complete your Master of Science in Law Enforcement & Public Safety Leadership (MS-LEPSL) in just 12 months (19 units). Through a unique partnership between University of San Diego and the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), Command College graduates can request to have their coursework evaluated, given an academic grade, and validated for 12 graduate-level extension units (separate fee applies for this service). The units will then transfer directly into the MS-LEPSL program, enabling students to complete their Master’s coursework in just 3 terms (one year). Click here for more information about having your Command College coursework validated.
Build on Your Command College Leadership Training While Exploring Current Issues in Law Enforcement
As a student in USD’s online M.S. in Law Enforcement & Public Safety Leadership program, you will delve into some of America’s most pressing public safety issues while learning practical management and leadership skills specific to law enforcement, including:
- Organizational leadership frameworks, and how to influence others for the common good
- Constitutional law and how it shapes law enforcement policy
- Budget, finance and resource allocation
- Collective bargaining and contract negotiation
- Communication techniques, including interpersonal dialogue, written/electronic communications, report and grant writing, media relations and communicating to large audiences
- Techniques for successful community engagement
- Dispute and conflict resolution skills that emphasize ethics, personal and professional integrity
- Research methods for conducting community and organizational assessments
- Analytical procedures for evaluating crime trends
In its entirety, USD’s online M.S. in Law Enforcement & Public Safety Leadership is a 31-unit program designed to be completed in 5 semesters (20 months). Coursework is taken year-round, with three 14-week semesters each year. Each 14-week semester consists of two courses running for seven weeks each back to back, allowing you to focus on one course at a time.
When you enter the MS-LEPSL program as a Command College graduate, you will complete only 6 courses over three terms, plus a Capstone project during your third and final term. You must attend all three terms sequentially, and you must graduate from Command College prior to beginning the LEPSL program.
Benefits to Command College Graduates
- Application fee waived
- $50 per unit discount on tuition with law enforcement union/association membership
- Free transcript ordering service (ask your enrollment advisor)
- Finish your Master’s degree in just one year