Accelerate Your Career
Earn Your Master’s Degree in Health Care Informatics – Online or on Campus
Health care informatics is a rapidly growing, interdisciplinary field that resides at the intersection of computer science, information management, and healthcare. Its purpose is the automation, management and improvement of health information in the support of health care delivery.
University of San Diego’s practical M.S. in Health Care Informatics program prepares you for success with a practical curriculum that develops your technical, programmatic and analytic competencies while addressing contemporary issues in informatics such as population health analysis, clinical documentation and workflow optimization, and data security. The program is cross-disciplinary and draws faculty from healthcare, business, engineering, and computer science to prepare you with the range of skills necessary to take on a leadership role in informatics within your organization, or to apply your highly marketable skills to a new challenge.
USD’s M.S. in Health Informatics is offered in both campus-based and online formats, both of which can be completed in as little as two years.
What You’ll Learn in the M.S. in Health Care Informatics Program
University of San Diego’s MS-HCI integrates healthcare information management, information technology, health system leadership and business knowledge/skills to prepare you for a variety of health informatics and clinical analytics positions. You will learn technical skills such as:
- Design and management of databases
- Application of information systems to solve clinical problems
- Workflow design
- Design for the integration of human/technology systems
- Advanced leadership skills in project/technology team management
- Organizational leadership in data and technology management
You’ll also develop key business management and healthcare administration skills, including:
- Conflict resolution
- Financial management
- Data management
- Strategic planning
- Policy development
- Professional and ethical responsibility
Throughout the program, you’ll create and maintain a portfolio that reflects the knowledge you’ve developed and skills you’ve mastered – preparing you not only for graduation but for demonstrating your expertise to potential employers.
Who Enrolls in the Health Care Informatics Master’s Degree Program?
You don’t need to have health care experience to enroll in the M.S. in Health Care Informatics program. While some of our students are working in the field in a variety of clinical and non-clinical roles, many are transitioning into health informatics without any healthcare background at all. Regardless of your prior professional experience, our program is designed to build from a foundation that will prepare you for future success.
Our student profile includes mostly working professionals from the following roles:
- Physicians looking to advance into a CMIO role
- Foreign medical graduates (FMGs) who are not credentialed in the U.S.
- Nurses and nursing informaticists
- Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians
- Other healthcare professionals
- Health insurance professionals
- IT/computer science professionals
- Medical office managers
- Health information management professionals (including those working in medical billing/revenue cycle, coding, information governance, data integrity, quality improvement, compliance, privacy and security, etc.).
- Healthcare consultants
- Public health or non-profit roles